Monday, March 15, 2010

AWOL for good reason

It's funny that I titled this blog A Gentle Shove, because in the last two weeks, it is exactly what I got. When I left my previous job, my health insurance ended on Feb. 28. I was so busy (and annoyed that Health Partners doesn't seem to support any browser except Internet Explorer (I will save you from rant on this) that I hadn't signed up for new insurance yet, which I am buying on my own.

Two days after my coverage ended, I started getting this stabbing pain in my back, above my kidney on the left. I could barely breathe, and I had no idea what was going on. It came and went, and after a while, I realized it was after eating. Long story short (and a lot of WebMDing, friend chatting goes into the long story) I determined that it must be gallstones. I have been eating poorly since I got so busy.

Anyway, this has been my gentle shove back to eating well. I went to the co-op next door and bought the following:

  • Beets
  • Parsnips
  • Butter Lettuce (it's so pretty!!!)
  • Watercress
  • Lemons
  • Gala apples
  • Organic grape juice (on sale for $2.69—you can't beat that when it's usually like $5!)
  • Walleye fillet
All of these things are super yummy and super good for anyone. I don't know why it's so hard for all of us to just say no to the Doritos® and Reese's Peanut Butter Cup® ice cream (my "treat" to myself on Friday, followed by the worst pain I ever experienced in my life for four hours straight...).

I broiled the walleye with a little olive oil and lemon and made a delicious salad with a watercress dressing made by pulsing olive oil, lemon, vinegar, and mustard then adding the cress and pulsing again. I even chopped up half an apple on the salad and it was really good.

If anyone else has healthy eating/living/attitude stories to share, please feel free to comment!

p.s. My insurance should come through soon, but I may skip the doctor if this new diet helps!

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, that's no fun at all! I love me some beets...they are my new found love. And don't throw away the beet greens!

    Hope that the diet helps sans doctor! I've never had gallstones, but that doesn't sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saved the greens in the crisper for about 9 days and then tossed them because they were all sad. I am just NEVER HOME to cook!!!

    ReplyDelete